Cats are loving and adorable pets. They make a great addition to any home, as they are friendly, well-tempered, easy to train, and good with kids.
Are you considering bringing a new furry friend into your home? Before you step out to adopt or buy one, it is worth knowing the different cat breeds out there so you can opt for the one that will best fit into your home.
Here’s a brief of the 10 most popular cat breeds in Singapore. Read on to learn about these cats.
10 Most Popular Cat Breeds in Singapore
In no particular order, here are the most popular cats in Singapore:
1. Maine Coon
The Maine Coon is a famous cat breed known for its luxurious long coat, muscular body, and ear furnishings. Also known as “the gentle giants,” Maine Coons are loving and friendly cats.
They are loyal, playful, and very active. These cats are good with kids and other pets. They weigh about 10 to 25 pounds and live up to 13 years or more. In addition, they are available in various colors, including white, black, and cream.
2. British Shorthair
This cat breed originated in the UK. With a lifespan of 14 to 20 years, they are one of the oldest cat breeds out there. These cats have a dense coat, unique body shape, round faces, and sharp triangle ears. The British Shorthair is available in a variety of patterns and colors, such as grey, white, gold, cream, blue, and black.
Siberian cats are native to Russia. They have lustrous, long, thick coats that help them adapt to the extreme Russian weather. Siberians are an intelligent and strong breed. Despite their large size, these cats are affectionate and gentle.
4. Russian Blue
At first appearance, Russian Blues are reserved and quiet. However, these cats can be playful and active after gaining their trust. They have double-layered, short, sparkly coats. In addition to having a loving nature, these cats are beautiful and loyal.
Also known as the cat equivalent of Corgi, Munchkins are a playful and loving cat breed. They have short legs, which is why they are compared to Corgis. These cats are friendly, active, and fund of human interaction. Despite their short legs, these cats are fast and furious.
Persian originated in Iran, Persia. These glamour cats are gentle, elegant, and graceful. They are medium-sized cats weighing between 7 and 12 pounds. These cats are known for being quiet and sweet. They have large, expressive eyes, giving them attractive and charming looks. The lifespan of this cat breed is 12 to 17 years.
The Burmese are smooth-coated, stocky cats that originated in Thailand. If you are looking for a cat that requires low maintenance, we highly recommend this breed. They are friendly and good with kids. These cats easily get along with other pets, making them excellent options for multi-pet homes.
The Bengals are originally from the United States. Known for their fantastic personality and playful nature, Bengals are very popular in this part of the world. These cats can live from 12 to 16 years.
9. Singapura Cat
Singapura Cats also made it to the list, thanks to their loving traits and personalities. These cats are native to Singapore, which is evident in their name. If you are looking for a small cat breed as a new member of your family, you should consider this breed. They require minimum maintenance, as they do not shed like other breeds.
Siamese is one of the oldest cats out there. These cats can live for 15 to 20 years. They have slim, muscular bodies. Siamese cats are friendly, affectionate, intelligent, and easy to maintain.
- Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain: This is one of the best cat foods on the market. It contains digestible carb and protein sources to provide highly digestible energy for your active cats. It is suitable for cats of all life stages.
- Absolute Holistic Grain-Free Dry Cat Food: This grain-free formula is free of any ingredient that could trigger allergies or sensitivities in your cat. It is made with premium ingredients to provide your cat with all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Solid Gold Grain-Free Dry Cat Food: Made with chicken, lentils, and apples, this grain-free cat food is perfect for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs and skin.
- Addiction Salmon Bleu Grain-Free Dry Cat Food: This food is specially formulated to meet the nutritional needs of your cat. It contains high-quality protein and carb sources.
- Orijen Six Fish Cat Dry Food: This cat food was formulated to satisfy your cat’s wildlife cravings. It contains fish as the primary protein source, making it tasty and appealing.
- Kit Cat No-Grain Dry Cat Food: Made with Tuna and Salmon, this is one of the best cat foods for fussy eaters. It smells good and tastes lovely. It is also rich in omega-fatty acids.